About Salem County

Discover The Possibilities In Salem County

In an age of urban sprawl, Salem County stands out as an unspoiled oasis with a genuine, “down-home country” feel that pervades every facet of the county.  Its agricultural, historical, cultural and economic characteristics are surpassed only by the people here who work as a team to preserve the features that make the county great while planning to keep it viable for future generations.

Salem, which means “peace,” is a place steeped in history and tradition. The county is the site of the first Quaker Colony in North America established in 1675.  The majestic Salem Oak, which still stands today, is said to be the site where John Fenwick, a member of the Religious Society of Friends, entered into a treaty with the Lenni-Lenape tribe for the land that is Salem County today.  The exchange between John Fenwick and the Lenape Indians planted the seed that would grow into Salem County’s rich history.

The County is governed by a Board of Chosen County Commissioners, which has met continuously in Salem City, the county seat, since 1694. Peaceful surroundings, coupled with a solid, diverse educational system, a variety of state-of-the-art health care options, and distinct small-town communities, make Salem County a great place to live, to work, and to play.

 

To learn more, visit:

Our Communities

Find Out More!

Find Out More!
Oldmans Township Pilesgrove Township Woodstown Borough Mannington Township Alloway Township Quinton Township Salem City Pennsville Township Lower Alloways Creek Township Elsinboro Township Carneys Point Township Penns Grove Borough Elmer Borough Pittsgrove Township Upper Pittsgrove Township

Oldmans Township

As of the United States 2000 Census, the township population was 1,798. Oldmans Township was incorporated on February 7, 1881 from portions of Upper Penns Neck Township (now Carneys Point Township). The communities of Pedricktown and Auburn are located within Oldmans Township.

WEBSITE: OldmansTownship.com

Pilesgrove Township

As of the United States 2000 Census, the township population was 3,923. Pile’s Grove was first mentioned in a deed dated April 15, 1701, through the date of the township’s original corporation is unknown. Pilesgrove was incorporated as one of New Jersey’s original group of 104 Townships on February 21, 1798. Portions of the township were taken on December 6, 1769 from Pittsgrove Township and on July 26, 1882 formed Woodstown.

WEBSITE: PilesgroveNJ.org

Woodstown Borough

As of the United States 2000 Census, the borough population was 3,136. Woodstown was established on July 26, 1882, from portions of Pilesgrove Township based on the results of a referendum held that same day. The borough’s incorporation was confirmed on March 3, 1925.

WEBSITE: HistoricWoodstown.org

Mannington Township

As of the United States 2000 Census, the township population was 1,559. Mannington Township was first mentioned on May 12, 1721. It had been previously known as East Fenwick Township, which was mentioned on September 3, 1679, though the details of its incorporation are unknown. The township was incorporated by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 21, 1798 as one of New Jersey’s original group of 104 townships. A portion of the township was taken in 1878 and annexed by Quinton Township.

WEBSITE: manningtontwp.com

Alloway Township

Was incorporated by a Royal Charter on June 17, 1776. The Township population is approximately 3,000. Alloway Township has forested wetlands, agricultural properties and the Alloway Creek watershed (75 square miles) which comprises 20% of Salem County.

WEBSITE: AllowayTownship.com

Quinton Township

As of the United States 2000 Census, the township population was 2,786. Quinton was formally incorporated as a township by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 18, 1873, from portions of Upper Alloways Creek Township (now Alloway Township).

WEBSITE:quintonnj.org

Salem City

As of the United States 2010 Census, the city population was 5,146. It is the county seat of Salem County, the most rural county in the state of New Jersey. The name Salem is related to the Hebrew word shalom, meaning “peace”. The town and colony of Salem was founded in 1675 by John Fenwick. On February 25, 1858, it was reincorporated as Salem City.

WEBSITE: SalemCityNJ.com

Pennsville Township

As of the United States 2000 Census, the township population was 13,194. The township is named for William Penn. Lower Penns Neck Township was formed on July 10, 1721 when Penn’s Neck Township was subdivided and Upper Penns Neck Township (now Carneys Point Township) was also formed. The township was incorporated by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 21, 1798 as one of New Jersey’s original group of 104 townships. The township was renamed Pennsville Township based on the results of a referendum held on November 2, 1965.

WEBSITE: pennsville.org

Lower Alloways Creek Township

As of the United States 2000 Census, the township population was 1,851. Lower Alloways Creek Township was formed on June 17, 1767 when Alloways Creek Township was subdivided and Upper Alloways Creek Township (now Alloway Township) was also formed. The township was incorporated by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 21, 1798 as one of New Jersey’s original group of 104 townships. PSE&G operates three nuclear reactors in Lower Alloways Creek Township. Salem 1 and Salem 2 are pressurized water reactors at the Salem Nuclear Power Plant and Hope Creek is a boiling water reactor at the Hope Creek Nuclear Generating Station.

WEBSITE: lowerallowayscreek-nj.gov

Elsinboro Township

As of the United States 2000 Census, the township population was 1,092. Elsinboro’s first mention dates back to May 12, 1701, though it was also mentioned in records on November 28, 1676. The details and date of its original incorporation are unknown. The township was incorporated by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 21, 1798 as one of New Jersey’s original group of 104 townships.

WEBSITE: elsinborotownship.com

Carneys Point Township

As of the United States 2000 Census, the township population was 7,684. Upper Penns Neck Township was formed on July 10, 1721 when Penn’s Neck Township was subdivided and Lower Penns Neck Township (now Pennsville Township) was also formed. The township was incorporated by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 21, 1798 as one of New Jersey’s original group of 104 townships. The township was renamed Carneys Point Township based on the results of a Township meeting held on November 10, 1976.

WEBSITE: CarneysPointNJ.gov

Penns Grove Borough

As of the United States 2000 Census, the borough population was 4,886. Penns Grove was incorporated as a borough by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 8, 1894, from portions of Upper Penns Neck Township (now Carneys Point Township, based on the results of a referendum held two days earlier. Penns Grove borders Carneys Point Township and the Delaware River. The borough is located across the Delaware River from Wilmington, which is part of the Delaware Valley, and 33 miles (53 km) south of Philadelphia.

WEBSITE: pennsgrove-nj.org

Elmer Borough

As of the United States 2010 Census, the borough population was 1,395, making it the 520th largest city in New Jersey. Elmer was incorporated as a borough by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on January 28, 1893, from portions of Pittsgrove Township and Upper Pittsgrove Township, based on the results of a referendum held four days earlier. The borough was formed on the dividing line of Pittsgrove and Upper Pittsgrove Townships and was named for Lucius Elmer a former judge who helped obtain a post office for the community during his service as Congressman.

WEBSITE: ElmerBoroughNJ.com

Pittsgrove Township

As of the United States 2010 Census, the township population was 9,393. Pittsgrove Township was formed by Royal Charter on December 6, 1769 and was incorporated by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 21, 1798 as one of the initial group of 104 townships established in New Jersey. Portions of the township were taken on March 4, 1822 to form Centreville Township (which was restored in 1829 when the Centreville was dissolved), on March 10, 1846 to form Upper Pittsgrove Township and on January 28, 1893 to form Elmer Borough.

WEBSITE: PittsgroveTownship.com

Upper Pittsgrove Township

As of the United States 2000 Census, the township population was 3,468. Upper Pittsgrove Township was incorporated on March 10, 1846, from portions of Pittsgrove Township. Portions of the township were taken on January 28, 1893 to form Elmer.

WEBSITE: UpperPittsgrove.com